The first day of school at LPMS was a success! Everything ran smoothly and we are off to a good start. Usually I am saying goodbye to the students to get a sense of how they enjoyed the day, but I was out in the parking lot helping everyone to understand the new traffic patterns.
First, I would like to thank everyone for their patience. Nearly everyone I spoke with was patient, looking for direction and if someone made a mistake, they were apologetic and hurried to move the car. I know the traffic patter is new and it will take time for us all to adjust and get used to it, but I have some tips and reminders for parents who are picking up:
1. Be sure to stop at all stop signs or solid white lines at the end of a lane. We want to avoid any accidents.
2. As always, please consider arriving a little later to pick up your child. The parking lot is absolutely packed at 2:55. Tell your child you aren't going to arrive until 3:10. You will find the lot much easier to navigate. Better yet, consider having your child walk the path to Randolph and you can pick up there. I know many experienced parents take advantage of that. Consider telling your child to meet you at Randolph at 3:10 as well.
3. At LPES, parents must meet their child at the door. At LPMS, that is not the case. Please do not walk away from your car to meet your child. If your child has a cell phone, you can text him/her at 2:55 (or call) and tell them where to find your car. I will be going over the safest way to cross to Mom's or Dad's car when dismissed.
4. We are lining up cars at pick-up (as it was done last year as well) and those lines are blocking parked cars. We are trying to keep a lane on each side of the parking lot open so that when children get in the cars, they can easily exit the parking lot. If you choose to park in a spot, be aware that you will be blocked in. Please be patient. Some of my part-time staff members finish their day at 2:55 and may need to leave for an obligation. If you are blocking them, or another parent in, please do your best to move your car.
5. While the traffic pattern changed, the parking lot did NOT get any smaller. It is the same size it was last year. The reason is seemed so crowded was that we accomplished our goal of getting rid of the line of cars on Ryerson. In the past we had parents parked on Ryerson waiting for their children.
The first few days of school are always chaotic and busy. The first time it rains it will be even worse. Please continue to be patient and cooperative and I'm sure we will all see everything running even more smoothly than it has in the past.
Thank you again for helping us get off to a great start.