RACES is an acronym that students should remind themselves of when answering an open constructed response question. A RACES response is one paragraph long.
R stands for RESTATE
- Rework the question to make a statement; include the title and author's name. Use the same language that has been used in the question
A stands for ANSWER
- Answer the question simply without a "because" explanation.
C stands for CITE EVIDENCE
- Using textual support, prove your answer. Depending on the complexity of the question, this step can take anywhere from 2-6 sentences.
E stands for EXPLAIN
- Explain why/how the information you've selected as your support connects to the answer.
S stands for SUMMARIZE
- Summarize your response in a concise statement, using different language than the rest of the response.
*Use transitional phrases.
*It can be appropriate to use a quote from the text in the response. If a quote is used, quotation marks and a page number should be supplied.